In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Maine Memory Network

A Day for Remembering

Monson band on parade, 1939

Monson band on parade, 1939

Item 10747 info
Monson Historical Society

This photo was taken Memorial Day in 1939 on Main Street, Monson. The Monson band was formed in Sept. of 1887 and continued to entertain until the 1950s.

Also in the photo are members of the American Legion Post No. 116 and the Ladies Auxiliary.

The Towne-Holmbom Post was started March 1, 1921 in Monson with 16 charter members. The Auxiliary was begun Dec. 12, 1922 with 38 charter members. The American Legion post was named in honor of Oral A. Towne, a soldier killed in action July 22, 1918 in Bois, France. On Sept. 24, 1951 the Monson Post voted to change the name to Towne-Holmbom in honor of Mr. Towne and Lawrence Holmbom. The latter died in England during WWII.

The silent policeman or traffic guide stood in the town square in the 1930s and 40s. The large square building with the hose tower was the town office and fire dept. and it also served as a basketball court on the second floor, once was a meeting location for Juanita Grange No 396, G.A.R. post, D.A.R. and is currently the location of the Monson Historical Society Museum.


Item 2 of 15