In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Maine Memory Network

The Plymouth Company Maps

This slideshow contains 40 items
1
Cobbosseecontee Stream copied July 29, 1765, map 2

Cobbosseecontee Stream copied July 29, 1765, map 2

Item 12125 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 2 from the Plymouth Company's collection of papers. This map shows a plan of Cobbosseecontee Stream in Maine, illustrated with a hunter, deer and dog. Cobboseecontee Stream is now called Cobbosseecontee Lake, and Cobbosseconte First Pond, mentioned on the map, is now Pleasant Pond, both located near Augusta.

Towns and locations covered by this map include Gardiner, West Gardiner, Farmingdale, Hallowell, Augusta, Litchfield, Manchester, Winthrop, and Monmouth and Fort Western.

Landowners' names include Benjamin Howells, Silvester Gardiner, Thomas Hancock and James Pitts.

Samuel Goodwin, clerk to the Plymouth Company, copied this plan of McKechnie's.


2
Skowhegan Falls, ca. 1800

Skowhegan Falls, ca. 1800

Item 12558 info
Maine Historical Society

"A copy of a plan of the small lots and roads leading to Skowhegan Bridge in Canaan on the easterly side of the Kennebeck River," commissioned by the Plymouth Company, ca. 1760. On the back of this map is written, "Danl Stewards Plan of small lots at Skowhegan Falls."

This area once known as part of Canaan is now Skowhegan. Cornville Rd. on the map refers to present-day Water St. and "Norridgewock" on the map turns into present-day Elm St.

This is manuscript map 3 from the Plymouth Company collection.


3
Dr. Silvester Gardiner's tract, Alna, 1761

Dr. Silvester Gardiner's tract, Alna, 1761

Item 12397 info
Maine Historical Society

"This tract was granted to Docter Silvester Gardiner Esqr of Boston by the Proprietors of the Kennebeck..." Feb. 11, 1761. On the back of this map is written, "copy of Jonas Jones plan, dated Dec. 29, 1759."

Names mentioned on lots include Samuel Goodwin, Samuel Ball, Chamberlain (Joshua and Hannah), William Clark, Thomas Murphy, James Clerk or Clark and Walter Lane or Cane, all in the town of Alna, north of Sheepscot and west of the Sheepscot River.

This is manuscript map 4 from the Plymouth Company's land grant.


4
Androscoggin River area map, 1771

Androscoggin River area map, 1771

Item 12396 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map showing the township with numbered lots in Jay, also known as Phipp's Canada, Canton, and Livermore Falls granted by the General Court, June 11, 1771. The Androscoggin River is pictured here.

This map was commissioned to be made by the Plymouth Company, the proprietorship responsible for settling lands 15 miles either side of the Kennebec River in Maine.

This is manuscript map #5.


5
Map of Wesserunsett stream, 1790

Map of Wesserunsett stream, 1790

Item 12395 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 6 showing 200 acre lots as part of Wesserunsett, Dec. 12, 1790 in what is now Skowhegan and Canaan, Maine. Lot owners' names are No. 1 Benjamin Davis, No. 2 Abraham Ireland, Jr., No. 3 James Malbones, No. 4 Bezaleel Kendals, No. 5 John Spearins sold to Silas Warner, and No. 6 C. Moses Warners sold to John Fowler.

The Wesserunsett area historically included the areas of Skowhegan, Madison and Canaan.


6
Sheepscot River lots, 1759

Sheepscot River lots, 1759

Item 12566 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 8 of the Plymouth Company's records showing the Sheepscot River lots Nos. 47-60 including description of land disputes between Dr. John McKechnie, Joseph Prince, and Assa Smith.

Other landowners' names on map include Dr. Silvester Gardiner, Stephen Hasselton, Nehemiah Turner, Charles Harvey and Assa Hilton.

This is a 1778 copy of part of Jonas Jones' plan of Pownalborough. The geographic area included on this map is now known as Alna.


7
Samuel Goodwin mill grant, Dresden, 1757

Samuel Goodwin mill grant, Dresden, 1757

Item 12567 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map showing the Mill Grant to Samuel Goodwin, October 24, 1757 on the Eastern River in Dresden.

Part of the Plymouth Company's land grant for the areas 15 miles each side of the Kennebec River. Lots and names on map include, No. 22 Samuel Turnor, No. 21 William Mitchell, No. 20 John McGown, No. 19 Joseph McFarland.

This is map 9 of the collection.


8
Plan of land for Ebenezer Bacon, Sidney, 1773

Plan of land for Ebenezer Bacon, Sidney, 1773

Item 12568 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 10 showing a plan of land for Ebenezer Bacon (1736-1798) given by the Plymouth Company, May 26, 1773. This is part of the Kennebec Land grant and is located on the west side of the Kennebec River in Sidney.


9
Plan of Kennebeck River, c. 1765

Plan of Kennebeck River, c. 1765

Item 12382 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 11 showing a plan of the Kennebec River, Androscoggin and Sagadahoc Rivers. "The land contained within these lines is an actual survey from Capt. North's map," c. 1765. From east to west this map shows from Cape Elizabeth to the Georges River; and north to south Lewiston to Small Point in Phippsburg.


10
Lot No. 39 of the Plymouth Company grant, June 1764

Lot No. 39 of the Plymouth Company grant, June 1764

Item 12381 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 12 commissioned by the Plymouth Company, (1749-1816) to show lot No. 39, land for Joseph Cartor on the west side of the Kennebec River. This lot of land is probably located in Winslow, west of the Kennebec River.


11
Tract granted to Samuel Goodwin, c. 1757

Tract granted to Samuel Goodwin, c. 1757

Item 12380 info
Maine Historical Society

The Plymouth Company (1749-1816) commissioned this manuscript map 13 to be made showing the tract of land for Samuel Goodwin laid out on the east side of the Kennebec River. The land is located in Dresden, between the Kennebec River to the east and the Eastern and Sheepscot rivers on the west.


12
Map of Kennebec Purchase lots, ca. 1750

Map of Kennebec Purchase lots, ca. 1750

Item 12196 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 17 from the Plymouth Company records showing lots 50, 52, 53 and 54 with Mr. Brainard, Levi Jewell, Moses Davis mentioned.


13
Division of the Tyng and Lowell estates, ca. 1760

Division of the Tyng and Lowell estates, ca. 1760

Item 12197 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 18 used by the commissioners (Plymouth Company) in the division of the Tyng and Lowell Estates, Plymouth Company records.


14
Plan of Cathance River, Bowdoinham, ca. 1740

Plan of Cathance River, Bowdoinham, ca. 1740

Item 12199 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 19 of a plan of the Cathance River from the Plymouth Company's records, ca. 1740. This area is in present-day Bowdoinham. It shows "Cathance Point" now known as Fulton's Point, which was formerly in Topsham and settled by Gowen Fulton.


15
Maps of lots on the Androscoggin River

Maps of lots on the Androscoggin River

Item 12200 info
Maine Historical Society

This is the Plymouth Company map of lots on the Androscoggin River, manuscript map 21 from the Company's records. It shows lots in Jay, also known as Phipp's Canada, about 1760. The map traces the river from Canton through Jay to Livermore Falls, east to west.


16
Plan of Samuel Goodwin's land, Dresden, ca. 1760

Plan of Samuel Goodwin's land, Dresden, ca. 1760

Item 12202 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 23 from the Plymouth Company's records showing a plan of Samuel Goodwin's land between the Eastern and Kennebec Rivers. This area was known as Pownalborough but is now Dresden. Shown is Henry Lagor's land.


17
Benjamin and Nehemiah Turner's plan containing 200 acres, Palermo, 1806

Benjamin and Nehemiah Turner's plan containing 200 acres, Palermo, 1806

Item 12203 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 26 from the Plymouth Company's records of Benjamin and Nehemiah Turner's plan containing 200 acres on Sheepscot Pond, June 18 and August 11, 1806. This is an early map of property in Palermo.


18
Plan of lots on Sheepscot Pond, Palermo, 1806

Plan of lots on Sheepscot Pond, Palermo, 1806

Item 12560 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 27 from the Plymouth Company records showing the landowners' names and their tracts awarded by the Plymouth Company, of the area around Sheepscot Pond in Palermo, June 27, 1806.


19
Lots on Tinkham's Pond, Kennebec Patent, ca. 1800

Lots on Tinkham's Pond, Kennebec Patent, ca. 1800

Item 12561 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 29 showing lots on Tinkham's Pond, with names of property owners. The map is part of the Plymouth Company's records of the Kennebec Patent, and given a date of about 1800.

Names on map include John Lane, David Ridley, Benjamin Weymouth, John Tinkham, J. Marr, Arthur Denis, Phillip Bullen, Chas. Hayden, J. Jones and E. Ballard. Jones, Ephraim Ballard, Marr and Bullen all were surveyors.


20
Part of the Pownalborough plan, Augusta and Dresden, ca. 1760

Part of the Pownalborough plan, Augusta and Dresden, ca. 1760

Item 12562 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 30 from the Plymouth Company's records showing a part of what was then known as Pownalborough with the division of lots and sizes. Present-day towns are Dresden and Augusta.

A drawing of Job Averal's house, the Kennebec, Eastern, Cobbeseecontee and Sheepscot Rivers, Fort Western, Fort Shirley and Swan Island are shown. Land in Pittston, Alna and Randolph are also shown.

A compass rose adorns the lower left side.


21
Survey of settlers' lots in Norridgewock, 1802 and 1803

Survey of settlers' lots in Norridgewock, 1802 and 1803

Item 12563 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 31 from the Plymouth Company records. "The plan of ... a survey of settlers lots in Norridwock and mile and half strip north of it made under the resolve of the 19th Febr. 1802, for the use of Proprietors of the Kennebeck Purchase & the settlers. 7th October 8012 & 22 october 1803, Daniel Steward, surveyor."

Plan N. 13 is written twice on map.

Names of settlers include: Timothy War, Ephraim War, Ephraim Sayer, Amos Jones, "Estate of Timothy Bramard," Samuel Beckey, Thomas Laughton, John O'Neil, John O'Neil Jr., Reuben Keneard, Joseph Sanders, Joshua Whitman, James Young, Dugal McPharson, James Fairbrothers, Robert Whitecomb, Isaac McKenny, Benjamin Richards, Jonathan Russell, Abel Nutter, Magnus Beekey, Josiah Nutter, Nicholas Durrell, Timothy Brown, Nathaniel Martin, Stephen Chamberlen, Abraham Adams, Edmund Adams.


22
Draper's claim northeast of Bath, 1795

Draper's claim northeast of Bath, 1795

Item 12400 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 32-1 which is a copy of another map showing part of the Plymouth Company grant 15 miles each side of the Sheepscot River, with a narrative of a Native American raid on Swan Island and Richmond Fort, and a compass rose. This map is titled Draper's claim northeast of Bath, March 1795.
Samuel Goodwin and John North's work are mentioned in the narrative.

Important landmarks include Fort Richmond in Richmond, Swan Island, and the Kennebec River.


23
Map of Draper's Claim, near Bath, 1795

Map of Draper's Claim, near Bath, 1795

Item 12399 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 32-2 which is a copy of a map, showing what was Draper's claim northeast of Bath on the Sheepscot River, part of the Plymouth Company patent grant.

This map has a narrative about the early surveying of the area by Samual Goodwin and John North, with information also about a Native American attack and capture of prisoners from Richmond Fort and Swan Island, March 1795. A compass rose shows on this map.


24
Early map of the Sheepscot River, 1816

Early map of the Sheepscot River, 1816

Item 12398 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 33 from the Plymouth Company's records showing a correct plan of the Patent's outline including Malta (now Windsor), Whitefield, Patrick Town of the Long Pond settlement, Jan. 8, 1816. Map includes an area of Somerville also.


25
Land granted to William and Charles Cushing, Hallowell, 1771

Land granted to William and Charles Cushing, Hallowell, 1771

Item 12934 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 34 showing "an actual survey of land granted to Wm. and Chas. Cushing, Oct. 3, 1771, from the collection of the Plymouth Company. This map shows an area of Hallowell, as well as Fort Western in Augusta.


26
Purchases on the Kennebec River, 1731

Purchases on the Kennebec River, 1731

Item 12935 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 35 entitled, "A Draught of the Purchases on the River Kennebeck Navigable for small Vessells-1731."

On the back of the map is written, "A Map of part of Kennebeck River discribing the Plymouth Purchse Jan. 30th 1629."

Map includes areas around Merrymeeting Bay north along the river to the Cobbosseconte River: Richmond north to Augusta. Two garrisons are pictured, the southerly one in Richmond, and the one called "Cushena-formerly a Garrison" was in Augusta.

The map also refers to "Clark & Lake's" land purchases in 1649 and 1653 (Maj. Thomas Clark and Captain Thomas Lake), and the 1629 purchase by "Bradford & Associates" (William Bradford, Governor of the Plymouth Colony.)


27
Manuscript map of Kennebec River area, 1771

Manuscript map of Kennebec River area, 1771

Item 13074 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 41, which is a copy of a plan of "Great Lotts in the fifth division along the Kennebec River" from the Plymouth Company collection, was taken from surveys made by John McKechnie and John Jones in March 1771.

Samuel Goodwin is mentioned in the text that describes how the map was compiled and includes narratives about some battles between the Indians and the settlers.

Places noted include Fort Halifax, Fairfield, Norridgewock, Waterville, Winslow and Skowhegan.


28
Ten lots near Sebasticook River, ca. 1760

Ten lots near Sebasticook River, ca. 1760

Item 12938 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map #44 showing a survey of lots on "12 mile pond so called," near the Sebasticook River, ca. 1760 from the collection of surveys of the Plymouth Company.

This area is probably located at the northern part of China Lake, bordering contemporary China and East Vassalboro. China Lake used to be called 12 Mile Pond.


29
Map of lots G1 and G2 for James Pitts, near Clinton, 1769

Map of lots G1 and G2 for James Pitts, near Clinton, 1769

Item 12940 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map #46 showing lot G1 and G2 and note about this copied plan, from the Plymouth Company collection, Nov. 7, 1769. Reference to 6th book of records page 48 Dec. 12, 1770. The land was granted to James Pitts and is located on the east side of the Kennebec River ten miles north of Winslow. Probably located in present-day Clinton.


30
Plan of the Kennebec River, Nov. 1763

Plan of the Kennebec River, Nov. 1763

Item 12941 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 47 showing a "plan of Kennebeck River from Merrymeeting Bay upwards, Nov. 1763." Fort Richmond and Fort Brunswick are shown.

This map is part of the collection of maps from the Plymouth Company's records.

Also written on the map is a description of Native American use of the land around Merrymeeting Bay.


31
Plan of James Burns lot, 1764

Plan of James Burns lot, 1764

Item 12944 info
Maine Historical Society

The map shows a plan of James Burns' lot along the Kennebec River in 1764. Written on the map is "eight miles above Fort Western." This land is possibly located in modern-day Sidney.

The map has a colored compass rose.

It is part of the collection of the Plymouth Company.


32
Plan of lots on the Sheepscot River, Alna, 1798

Plan of lots on the Sheepscot River, Alna, 1798

Item 12943 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 49 copied from the Jonas Jones' plan of 1759 showing the lots on the Sheepscot River in Alna, drawn by Samuel Goodwin for the Plymouth Company. Landowners' names are written alongside the lots and include Samuel Goodwin (1716-1802), John Hancock (1737-1793), James Pitts, William Bowdoin, Stephen Hazzelton, Joseph Hutchings (Hutchins) (fl. 1800-1805), William Clarke, Moses Gray, William Backer, Silvester Gardiner (1708-1786), Benjamin Hallowell (1761-1834), William Vassell, James Howard, Nehemiah Turner (b. 1711), Solomon Hersey, Job Averal (Averill), Benjamin Averal (Averill), Joseph Prince, Nehemiah Bladger and Assa Smith.


33
Kennebec River, May 16, 1719

Kennebec River, May 16, 1719

Item 12854 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 54a from the Plymouth Company's records showing the Kennebec River and land grants along the river, May 16, 1719. Indians deeds, Richmond Fort, Job Lewis' garrison house in Woolwich and an "Arrowsic Mill" are features on the map which spans all of Merrymeeting Bay from the Androscoggin River to the Kennebec River, and Georgetown north to Norridgewock.


34
Obadiah and Phillip Call's properties, Dresden, August 7, 1758

Obadiah and Phillip Call's properties, Dresden, August 7, 1758

Item 12853 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 55-1 showing houses and locations of Obadiah and Phillip Call's houses and barns along the Kennebec River, in contemporary Dresden, drawn on August 7, 1758. Samuel Goodwin (1716-1802) was clerk and agent for the Plymouth Proprietors, and created this map as part of his duties.


35
Plan of part of the Eastern Shore, 1753

Plan of part of the Eastern Shore, 1753

Item 11977 info
Maine Historical Society

This manuscript map numbered 56-2-1 was created by Thomas Johnston in 1753 and shows the granted land on both sides of the Kennebec River, church buildings in Brunswick, Falmouth and North Yarmouth and the town of Norridgewock. Land shown includes Casco Bay from Cape Elizabeth to Pemaquid Point, and from Georgetown to Norridgewock along the Kennebec River.

Names on the map include Lawson, John North, Joseph Heath, Pineas Jones and E. Hutchinson.

Two compass roses adorn the map along with two men in the cartouche stating, "God hath Planted us here, God deeded this land to us." Great controversy surrounded this and subsequent maps created by Thomas Johnston showing land ownership along the Kennebec. This is considered the first Johnston map, 1753.

This map is also known as the 'talking indians' map.


36
Malta lot, 1810

Malta lot, 1810

Item 12571 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 57 showing land in Malta (now Windsor) in 1810, from the Plymouth Company's records surveyed by Isaac Davis.


37
Kennebec River above Fort Western, ca. 1800

Kennebec River above Fort Western, ca. 1800

Item 12852 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 58 from the Plymouth Company papers showing the Kennebec River north of Fort Western in the Augusta area.


38
Kennebec River, June 1798

Kennebec River, June 1798

Item 12851 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 59 showing "a part of the Kennebeck river, and a line extending from the west side and perpendicular to the general course thereof..."

The land area shown on this map includes Merrymeeting Bay north to Richmond lying along the Kennebec River, and Cathance River to the western side of Merrymeeting Bay. Watercourses include Abagadasset River, Cathance River, Pleasant Pond, and Kennebec River.

This map is part of the collection of maps from the Plymouth Company, one of the early land proprietorships of Maine. On the reverse side of this map is a deposition by Ephraim Ballard, the surveyor, about the truth of the statements presented on this map, dated April 27, 1809.


39
Plan of the Kennebeck River describing the Plymouth patent, ca. 1719

Plan of the Kennebeck River describing the Plymouth patent, ca. 1719

Item 11976 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 347 from the Plymouth Company records showing a plan of the Kennebec River describing the Plymouth patent. Land area includes the Kennebec River and lands on the east and west from Casco Bay to Norridgewock.

Indian grants are listed and well as proprietors' purchases of land. Landmarks include "Rowsick Mills" in contemporary Arrowsic,Brunswick fort, a fort at Job Lewis' residence in Woolwich, Richmond Fort, a fort in Norridgewock and two trading houses on the east side of the Kennebec.

Rivers mentioned include the Kennebec, the Sagadahock (southern end of the Kennebec), Pejepscot River (now Androscoggin), Muddy River, Cathance River, Cobbosseconte River, Abagadasset River and Sebasticook River.


40
Plan of Ruscohegon Alias Parker's Island, Georgetown, 1759

Plan of Ruscohegon Alias Parker's Island, Georgetown, 1759

Item 11975 info
Maine Historical Society

Manuscript map 349 from the Plymouth Company's records.

The map title reads, "This is a plan of Ruscohegon Alias Parker's [Georgetown] Island laying at the mouth of [the] Kennebeck River on the East side thereof being within the Limits and Bounds of the patent Land belonging to the proprietors of the Kennebeck purchas from the Late Colony of New Plymouth with all the Settlers lotts thereon which is under the said Company...Dated this 22 March Anno Domini 1759."

A color illustration of a surveyor is on this map.


This slideshow contains 40 items