First Parish Church, Portland, ca. 1886Item 18704 info
Maine Historical Society
The First Parish Church, or Old Jerusalem, was built in 1740 and stood until 1825.
This model represents the style of architecture that was common in Portland in the mid 18th century.
Although Falmouth Neck was a thriving port actively involved in trade with Europe and other North American cities, only a handful of wealthy inhabitants could afford luxury items such as painted portraits, joined furniture, or fancy textiles.
Most fine and decorative art objects were imported from Boston or England.