Old Colby College, (downtown) prior to 1950Item 12574 info
Colby College Special Collections
When the Chaplins arrived in Waterville in 1818, land along the Kennebec for the site of the college had not yet been cleared.
For the first year, classes were conducted in the Chaplins' rented house. It was not until 1820 that a subscription for building was undertaken, and the hall later called South College was erected in 1821.