Maine Memory Network
Maine's Online Museum

Login · My Account · Show Album


 

 
 

 

Student Exhibit: Historic Buildings on Madison Avenue in Skowhegan

written by Kim Rutherford

image of Hotel Coburn

Hotel Coburn on the corner of Madison Avenue and Elm Street. Pedestrian, Skowhegan Public Library, Parlin Mansion, Bethany Baptist Church and storefronts pictured in background.

Would you like to take a tour and see some of the beautiful old buildings that used to be on Madison Avenue? A few still remain, but most have been torn down.

Hotel Coburn stood on the corner of Madison Avenue and Elm Street. Before the Hotel Coburn was built, there were three others, The Red Dragon, The Skowhegan House and The Brewster House. Unfortunately all three of these buildings burned down. After the Hotel Coburn burned, a furniture store was built in its place and currently it is the site of the Skowhegan Savings Bank Operations Center.

image of Bethany Baptist Church

Bethany Baptist Church, April 13. 1901. Corner of Madison Avenue and Pleasant Street.

The Bethany Baptist Church has been torn down and is now a parking lot.

Where the Heywood Tavern once stood there is now a auto dealership. The Morris Fruit Company building is still there, but it is vacant.

Where the Miles F. Carpenter Insurance Company is today, there used to be the Willams photography studio and the A.F. Fuller drug store.

image of Heywood Tavern

Picture number six shows a trolley car on Water Street in the early 1900's. Number eleven is the same building shown in picture number five. The last picture shows the intersection of Madison Avenue and Water Street and the end of the old covered bridge. Many changes have happened in our town in the last hundred years, not all of them for the better.

Kim Rutherford is a seventh grader at Skowhegan Area Middle School.

 


Interested in starting a project in your community?

Use our contact form
Call (207) 774-1822 x212
Or email info@mainememory.net.