Student Exhibit: The Story of the Heywood Tavern
The following description of the Heywood Tavern was written in Skowhegan on the Kennebec by Louise Helen Coburn. The two volume history of Skowhegan was published in 1941.
"The Tavern was one of the first taverns in Skowhegan. A picturesque old house with interesting window-frames and doorway located on a 48 acre tract, that was purchased in 1822 by Josiah Parlin. Where the tavern would be located to day is were Hight's Chevrolet-Buick is sitting today."
"Josiah Parlin built the inn around 1830 and Dudley Heywood was the innkeeper from the beginning. In 1833 Josiah sold the western end, from Madison Ave. to High Street to Amos F. Parlin. Then in 1834 Amos sold the tavern lot to Shepherd Heald. In 1836 Heald sold the lot to Dudley Heywood, owned it for only two years. Then one-half interest passed to John Ware of Athens and the other half to William Moore of Anson. Later Moore sold his interest to Ware before 1845."
"The Heywood Tavern had a hall with in it, which was used for town meetings. Later the tavern became a stable, for care and feeding horses. The tavern was turned into a store. After 1924 the stables were least for a garage and offices. Later the tavern was sold to the Rail Road company and they tore it down."
"Before 1842 the border between Maine and Canada was in dispute. General Winfield Scott was sent by the U.S. to try to make an agreement with Canada. The Militia from Skowhegan met at the Heywood Tavern to wait for orders to go to the border to fight. But an agreement was reached, called the Webster-Asburton Treaty before any shots were fired. The Skowhegan militia didn't have to go to war."
"The Webster-Asburton Treaty also had a clause for the mutual extradition of criminals. Lord Ashburton of Great Britain and Daniel Webster, Secretary of State for the US signed the agreement in Washington, DC in August of 1842."
Miss Coburn goes on to say, "In 1834, at the time of the disturbance, Amos F. Parlin sold the tavern to Shepherd Heald and in 1836 Heald sold the building to Dudley Heywood."
After Mr.Heywood passed away, the tavern was owned by several other people during the 1800's. In the early 1900's the building was turned in to a tire store and the Chapman's owned it. Hight's Chevrolet eventually purchased the lot and had the building torn down for their car business.
Luke York is a seventh grader at Skowhegan Area Middle School.
Interested in starting a project in your community?