Exhibit: Farm-yard Frames
Text by Jeanne Finley
Images from Garland Historical Society, Patten Lumbermen's Museum, Androscoggin Historical Society and Maine Historical Society
The idea of connecting farm buildings -- houses, barns, and other structures -- began in the early 1800s, and peaked about 1865, after the Civil War.
The concept was so popular that owners of pre-1800 farms moved existing buildings or built new ones to conform to the pattern.
Farm buildings became a frame about the main yard, housing the various aspects of farm labor and increasing the efficiency of farm workers.
The farm-yard, the barn-yard, and the back-yard all were separate functional areas. A hundred years ago, when 85 out of every 100 people lived on farms, it was an environment and a nomenclature well-known to all.
"The group of roofs, big and little, span and lean-to, would present the appearance of a small, crowded village, Byron D. Halstead wrote (Barns, Sheds and Outbuildings, Brattleboro: Stephen Greene Press, 1977) The front driveway was the main street of this village and the farm-yard was the village square.
The farm buildings framed the yard, and the work radiated from the yard into all the essential areas.
Enter This Exhibit
View as Slideshow (good for browsing)
View as List (good for printing)