Exhibit: One Hundred Years of Caring -- EMMC
Text by Ann Trainor
Images from Eastern Maine Medical Center
Five physicians combined efforts in 1892 to create Bangor General Hospital to serve Bangor and the surrounding areas.
They leased the Mace house on State Street, at the foot of what is now known as Summit Avenue, for the new facility; its doors opened to patients on June 7, 1892. It consisted of an operating room and rooms for patients and treated 150 patients within its first year.
This hospital, now named Eastern Maine Medical Center, serves as the cornerstone of Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems and provides three-quarters of the primary-care hospital services offered in the Bangor area, as well as specialty and intensive care services to the northern two-thirds of Maine.
This exhibit is based on one held in September 1992 at the Bangor Civic Center. Eastern Maine Medical Centers "100 Years of Caring" offered a "walk through time," highlighting events from the hospital's first century of service.
Hospital annual reports were the source of most of the information presented: comments quoted without attribution have been taken from the report for the year indicated. Material quoted from the personal papers of Nellie Elden Benner, Mabel Hammons, and Vivian McDonald Dwyer, is from the collection of the School of Nursing Archive.
Enter This Exhibit
View as Slideshow (good for browsing)
View as List (good for printing)