Finding Katahdin Document Packets, Chapter 8, Section 3
Chapter 8, page 243-245.
An Acadian home from 1790 from northern Maine.
This house comes from "les concession des Boniface" in Hamlin Plantation.
It is believed originally to have been built by Alexander Roi in 1790s, this house was constructed using the "piece on piece" method. The roof is a Normandy roof -- it curves up at the eves to form a gutter to collect rain water for washing, bathing and household usage.
The door faced toward the brook to facilitate the use of the brook. The house has one room and dirt floor with a fieldstone fireplace used for warmth and cooking.
The house is insulated with moss. Over the centuries it was used as a home and later reused as a tool shed.
It was dismantled and rebuilt in its original form from original materials at Acadian Village, Van Buren, in 1977.