Devereux' Ices, Castine, ca. 1925
Castine residents frequented Devereux' Ice on the North Castine-Penobscot for ice cream. Frank and Lowena Devereux ran the store as well as the Devereux lobster pound.
Frank Devereux developed a baseball diamond behind the building, which drew large crowds on Sunday. The Devereux family also owned cottages and a picnic area on the shore, from which there was a view across the Bay to Fort Point.
The Old Devereux House, across from the lobster pound, was built in 1788.
In the 1930s Castine was a busy town with four grocery stores, hardware and drug stores, dry goods and shoe stores, an undertaker, a hospital, and the Eastern State Normal School, which trained teachers.
In the days before Maine Maritime Academy, the Castine Sardine Factory and boatyards dominated the waterfront. There were several hotels, including the Castine House, Pentagoet, and Shetola House, but only one restaurant. "People didn't eat out much," recalled a woman who was a child in Castine in the 1930s.