Contributed by Cary Memorial Library in Wayne
This bookplate is part of a collection assembled by Elizabeth Mast Hyatt in the 1920s and 1930s to honor famed opera and concert singer Annie Louise Cary (1841-1921), who was born in Wayne. A library was built in the town in 1938 and named the Cary Memorial Library. Hyatt later donated the bookplate collection to the library.
Walter M. Aikman was a noted artist and bookplate designer, who created a bookplate for Hyatt herself in 1912. This design for Aikman's own bookplate shows a landscape with a pond, swan and human figure surrounded by an elaborate frame. The Latin inscription "Sub Robore Virtus" translates as "Virtue Under Strength."
About This Item
- Title: Walter M. Aikman bookplate, 1914
- Creator: Aikman, Walter M.
- Creation Date: 1914
- Subject Date: 1914
- Town: Wayne
- County: Kennebec
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 15.2 cm x 9.6 cm
- Local Code: B (Box)
- Collection: Bookplate collection
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:Cary Memorial Library in Wayne
17 Old Winthrop Road, Wayne, ME 04284
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Hyatt, Elizabeth Mast--Books and reading
- Hyatt, Elizabeth Mast--Associated objects
- Cary, Annie Louise, 1842-1921
- Aikman, Walter M., 1857-1939--Associated objects
- Aikman, Walter M.--Books and reading
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.