Post Office and Customs House, Belfast, ca. 1875
Construction of the Post Office and Customs House was begun in 1855 on upper Main Street with funds appropriated by the U. S. Congress. The building was designed by architect Ammi B. Young of Washington, D.C. and built by Belfast contractor Isaac Allard. It was occupied in 1857, the post office occupying the first floor and the customs office on the second floor.