Contributed by Maine State Archives
Hiram Church was born in 1827 and enlisted in Presque Isle at the age of 34 as a sergeant in the 7th Regiment Infantry. The Regiment mustered in on August 21, 1861 in Augusta.
He was later promoted to second lieutenant. He received a disability discharge and began receiving pension as an invalid in March 1864. He died in 1895 in Kansas.
Written on the bottom of the carte de visite is, "Hiram Church, Lieut. Seventh Me., Loaned by J.K. Cochrane."
Other Presque Isle men to serve in this unit included Captain Henry Hill, Lt. Joseph Butler, Asst. Surgeon Eveleth and Chaplain Collamore Purington.
About This Item
- Title: Hiram Church, Presque Isle, 1861
- Creation Date: circa 1861
- Subject Date: circa 1861
- Town: Presque Isle
- County: Aroostook
- State: ME
- Media: Carte de visite
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine State Archives
84 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333-0084
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Soldiers--Maine--Presque Isle
- Portrait photographs
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 7th (1861-1864)
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Church, Hiram, 1827-1895--Portrait photographs
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.