Contributed by Belfast Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Thomas J. Burgess was thirty years old when, on August 11, 1863, he was notified that he had been drafted. Following his physical examination on August 14, he was found to be unfit for duty and exempted due to an injured trochanter major (bad hip).
About This Item
- Title: Thomas J. Burgess, Certificate of Exemption, Belfast, 1863
- Creation Date: 1863-08-14
- Subject Date: 1863-08-14
- Town: Belfast
- County: Waldo
- State: ME
- Media: ink on paper
- Dimensions: 16 cm x 21 cm
- Collection: Burgess Collection
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Belfast Historical Society
10 Market Street, Belfast, ME 04915
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Maine--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military service--1860-1870
- Recruiting & enlistment--1860-1870
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.