Contributed by Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum
This is an 1859 model cavalry saddle designed by General George McClellan. It was the standard issue saddle.
The saddle pictured has an 11.5 inch seat, sweat fenders and only one stirrup. All original straps are missing. It is made of black rawhide on a wood frame.
About This Item
- Title: Cavalry saddle, ca. 1860
- Creation Date: circa 1860
- Subject Date: circa 1860
- Media: rawhide, wood, brass fittings
- Dimensions: 29 cm x 27 cm x 43 cm
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Aroostook County Historical and Art Museum
109 Main Street, Houlton, ME 04730
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.