Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Eben S. Calderwood of Vinalhaven was 39 years old when he joined Co. H of the 21st Maine Regiment in October 1862. He had a wife and five children.
Calderwood wrote to his wife, Mary, in Vinalhaven, about the regiment's location, and the activities and locations of various men they both knew. He also wrote that he was glad she was getting state aid.
Calderwood enlisted for nine months.
About This Item
- Title: Pvt. Eben Calderwood to wife, Louisiana, 1863
- Creator: Calderwood, Eben S.
- Creation Date: 1863-04-08
- Subject Date: 1863
- Town: Baton Rouge, Vinalhaven
- County: Knox
- State: LA, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. S-1952, Box 93/13
- Collection: Eben S. Calderwood correspondence
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Calderwood, Eben S., 1839-1863--Correspondence
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military life
- United States--History--Civil War, 1862-1865--Personal narratives
- United States. Army--Military life
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 21st (1862-1863). Company H
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.