Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Pvt. John E. Stewart of Columbia was 23 when he enlisted in Co. G of the 6th Maine Infantry in July 1861. Many members of the 6th Maine were from Washington County.
Stewart wrote frequently to Samantha Leighton -- his future wife. The end of this letter is missing.
Stewart discussed being on guard duty in the cold weather -- and being homesick. He also wrote about the possibility of England aiding the Confederacy.
About This Item
- Title: Pvt. John Stewart letter from Lewinsville, VA, 1861
- Creator: Stewart, John E.
- Creation Date: 1861
- Subject Date: 1861
- Town: Lewinsville
- State: VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. S-7336, Misc. Box 255/9
- Collection: John E. Stewart correspondence to Samantha Leighton
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Military life--Virginia--Lewinsville
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 6th (1861-1864)