Contributed by Stanley Museum
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
A crowd gathers for the dedication of the Squirrel Island Library on August 8, 1904.
The library and a pilot collection of 4,000 volumes were the gift of philanthropist Albert H. Davenport (1845-1906) of Malden, Massachusetts.
Davenport was the owner and director of one of the country's leading furniture manufacturers, the Albert H. Davenport Co. of Boston, and had been a summer resident and benefactor of Squirrel Island since 1887.
Davenport and his daughter Alice were present at the library's dedication ceremony, which featured literary presentations, poetry readings and lectures by many of the island's scholars in residence, and recitals by singers Miles Bracewell and Bessie May Bowman.
About This Item
- Title: Squirrel Island Library dedication, 1904
- Creator: McDougall
- Creation Date: 1904-08-08
- Subject Date: 1904-08-08
- Local Name: Squirrel Island
- Town: Southport
- County: Lincoln
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 8.5 cm x 13.5 cm
- Local Code: PC 1 #4
- Collection: Raymond W. Stanley Collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Stanley Museum
street: 40 School Street, mailing: PO BOX 77, Kingfield, ME 04947
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Squirrel Island Library (Southport, Squirrel Island, Me.)--Photographs
- Building dedications--Maine--Southport--Squirrel Island
- Libraries--Maine--Southport--Squirrel Island
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.