Letter from John Sheahan to his father, July 4, 1863
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
John Parris Sheahan of the 1st Maine Cavalry, on the battlefield near Gettysburg, wrote a short note to his father in Dennysville.
"We have whiped the rebels and they are on the retreat," Sheahan reported on July 4, 1863. He said he was well, then signed the letter and sent it.
- Title: Letter from John Sheahan to his father, July 4, 1863
- Creator: Sheahan, John Parris
- Creation Date: 1863-07-04
- Town: Dennysville, Gettysburg
- County: Washington
- State: ME, PA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. 184 1/5
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
If you'd like to privately share a comment with MMN staff, please use this form.