Letter from John Sheahan to his father, July 4, 1863
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
John Parris Sheahan of the 1st Maine Cavalry, on the battlefield near Gettysburg, wrote a short note to his father in Dennysville.
"We have whiped the rebels and they are on the retreat," Sheahan reported on July 4, 1863. He said he was well, then signed the letter and sent it.
- Title: Letter from John Sheahan to his father, July 4, 1863
- Creator: Sheahan, John Parris
- Creation Date: 1863-07-04
- Town: Dennysville, Gettysburg
- County: Washington
- State: ME, PA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. 184, Box 1/5
- Collection: John Parris Sheahan papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.