Mayfield Slate Quarry, Skowhegan
Contributed by Skowhegan History House
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
"The slate product of this mine was brought to Skowhegan. A part was ground into paint and a portion was marbleized and used for mantels, table tops, etc.
"This property was once mortgaged for $75,000. The abandoned pit is on land owned by Henry Crowell and is said to have been bought at one time for $300.00. Warren Bacon was an owner and for a time served as manager of this enterprise."
~Roland T. Patten,
Custodian of Historical Views, 1929
- Title: Mayfield Slate Quarry, Skowhegan
- Creator: Boston 98 Cent Store, Kennebec Valley Views, N. R. Ramsdell, Proprietor
- Creation Date: 1860 - 1870
- Subject Date: 1860 - 1870
- Town: Skowhegan
- County: Somerset
- State: ME
- Media: Black and White Stereopticon
- Dimensions (cm): 9 x 18
- Local Code: 88.036.3
- Collection: Henry A. Wyman Collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:
Skowhegan History House
66 Elm Street, PO Box 832, Skowhegan, ME 04976
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
If you'd like to privately share a comment with MMN staff, please use this form.