Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Soldiers often found rigid knapsacks, issued early in the Civil War, uncomfortable, especially during long marches. They often discarded them, favoring the soft-sided version issued later.
Stenciled on the canvas is "George H. Libby Co. …" The company identification is unreadable. The name also appears in ink on the bottom of the knapsack. Libby may have been from Portland.
About This Item
- Title: George H. Libby knapsack, ca. 1861
- Creation Date: circa 1861
- Subject Date: circa 1861
- Media: Leather, cloth, metal
- Dimensions: 40 cm x 44 cm x 12.5 cm
- Local Code: AC11
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219