Civil War infantry button, ca. 1861
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
The "I" on the button indicates the wearer is an infantry soldier. The buttons were used on coats, but could be replaced by a button indicating a specific state.
This button belonged to Grenville Sparrow of Portland, a sergeant, then lieutenant, then captain in Co. A of the 17th Maine Infantry.
- Title: Civil War infantry button, ca. 1861
- Creator: D. Evans & Co., Massachusetts
- Creation Date: circa 1861
- Subject Date: circa 1861
- Media: Brass
- Local Code: 1998.453.23.1
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
If you'd like to privately share a comment with MMN staff, please use this form.