Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Grenville Sparrow of Portland, who served as a sergeant, then 2nd and 1st lieutenant, and finally as captain in the 17th Maine Infantry, carried this army-issued field sword during his time as a commissioned officer during the Civil War.
Officers rarely used the swords in battle.
About This Item
- Title: Grenville F. Sparrow sword, ca. 1863
- Creator: Mansfield & Lamb, Rhode Island
- Creation Date: circa 1863
- Subject Date: circa 1863
- Media: Steel, brass
- Dimensions: 12.7 cm x 103.5 cm
- Local Code: 1998.453.2
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.