Grenville F. Sparrow sword, ca. 1863
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Grenville Sparrow of Portland, who served as a sergeant, then 2nd and 1st lieutenant, and finally as captain in the 17th Maine Infantry, carried this army-issued field sword during his time as a commissioned officer during the Civil War.
Officers rarely used the swords in battle.
- Title: Grenville F. Sparrow sword, ca. 1863
- Creator: Mansfield & Lamb, Rhode Island
- Creation Date: circa 1863
- Subject Date: circa 1863
- Media: Steel, brass
- Dimensions (cm): 12.7 x 103.5
- Local Code: 1998.453.2
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
If you'd like to privately share a comment with MMN staff, please use this form.