Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
W. H. Reed began building West Boothbay Harbor's Oake Grove Hotel on a small scale in 1894 and in subsequent years made several additions. By 1915 the hotel was comprised of 150 guest rooms, as well as dining and common rooms, and large porches. In the 1930s guests looked east out toward Boothbay Harbor, past rafted-up four and five masted schooners whose usefulness had come to an end, as seen in this ca. 1930 photograph. The hotel was torn down in 1965, and in 1971 the region's first condominiums were built on that spot.