Capt. Samuel Hadlock Jr., London, 1824
Contributed by Acadia National Park
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This painted silhouette of Captain Samuel Hadlock Jr. (1792-ca. 1830) of Great Cranberry Island was made while Hadlock toured Europe.
He traveled with four Inuit Indians, 10 sled dogs, and exotic Arctic and Native American artifacts.
Hadlock built the Preble House on Great Cranberry Island upon his return to Maine with his second wife and child in 1827, and died at sea three years later.
- Title: Capt. Samuel Hadlock Jr., London, 1824
- Creator: Foster, Edward Ward
- Creation Date: 1824
- Subject Date: 1824
- Local Name: Great Cranberry Island
- Town: Cranberry Isles, London
- County: Hancock
- State: ME
- Media: Painted, wood, gilt
- Dimensions: 16.51 cm x 14.60 cm x .63 cm
- Local Code: #ACAD 218
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:
Acadia National Park
PO Box 177, Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings