Portland Water District Laboratory on Casco Street, 1919
When the Portland Water District acquired the Portland Water Company in 1908, their main goal was to ensure the purity of the water supply from Sebago Lake. To meet that goal, the Portland Water District maintained a well equipped laboratory on Kennebec Street in Portland until 1915 when it moved, along with their main office, to 16 Casco Street in Portland.
This photograph most likely features chemist Marion N. Hudson. Miss Hudson was the local chemist/bacteriologist in charge of the laboratory during the year 1919 according to the District's Annual Reports.