LaFond & Co., Westbrook, 1914
This photograph shows the LaFond & Co. department store from the corners of Fitch and Main Street. The LaFond & Co. department store, at 878 Main Street, was established in 1884 by Sifroy LaFond, who came to Westbrook from Canada in 1882. The store had two floors with an extensive array of dry and fancy goods, and the third floor housed a boarding house and apartments. The store sold everything from linens to clothing and shoes for the entire family. LaFond's son Hormidas graduated from the Bond Institute in New York City, then famous as a window trimming school, and went into a partnership with his father in 1909. LaFond & Co. closed in the early 1960s, and the building was razed in the 1970s.