Michael J. Cady, Portland, ca. 1890
Michael J. Cady (1866-1939) was raised by Galway immigrants near St. Dominic’s Roman Catholic Church in Portland. Cady is pictured here in the uniform of the Portland Montgomery Guard; a militia group made up of individuals of Irish decent integrated into the Maine National Guard later in the 19th century. Cady became Custodian of St. Dominic’s in 1899 and served in that position until 1929. St. Dominic's is situated in Portland’s West End District, at the corner of Gray and State Streets. It was known for welcoming immigrants of all backgrounds and religions to Portland for generations. Having been decommissioned as a Catholic church in 1997, St. Dominic’s is now (2013) the home of the Maine Irish Heritage Center.