Baxter Building, Portland, ca. 1913
Located at 619 Congress St., the Baxter Building was donated to the city of Portland in 1888 by philanthropist James Baxter. The building is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
"In 1913 confusion between this and the Baxter Block farther down Congress St. led James P. Baxter, owner of both buildings to change its name; named after an Englishman [from] Cape Elizabeth...it was sometimes referred to as the Trelawny Building".
According to the Portland Press Herald, MECA college has used the Baxter Building "for a variety of purposes over the years, including studio space and a darkroom for photographers, a computer lab, office space and as the college library."