Pvt. John E. Stewart on letter writing, Virginia, 1861
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Writing from the 6th Regiment Maine Volunteers camp at Maxall Hill, Virginia, Pvt. John E. Stewart of Cherryfield, a soldier in Co. G, wrote to Samantha Leighton of Cherryfield about being sick from "standing picket."
He also discussed how he was sending letters and whether they were being received.
He told Leighton he had sent her flower seeds in some letters.
- Title: Pvt. John E. Stewart on letter writing, Virginia, 1861
- Creator: Stewart, John E.
- Creation Date: 1861-10-20
- Subject Date: 1861
- Local Name: Maxall Hill
- Town: Columbia, Lewinsville
- State: VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20 cm x 12.2 cm
- Local Code: Coll. S-7336, Misc. Box 255/9
- Collection: John E. Stewart correspondence to Samantha Leighton
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.