Pvt. John Stewart to Samantha Leighton, Virginia, 1861
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Pvt. John Stewart of Columbia, who enlisted in July 1861 at age 23 in Co. G of the 6th Maine Infantry, wrote to "friend Samantha" Leighton, also of Columbia, from Virginia.
Stewart discussed the cold weather, then responded to apparent questions from Leighton about a soldier who had died and where he was buried.
He wrote that the soldiers were "verry careful of our guns ... we are not alowed to keep them loaded only when that we are on guard and on pickett."
The final pages of the letter are missing.
- Title: Pvt. John Stewart to Samantha Leighton, Virginia, 1861
- Creator: Stewart, John E.
- Creation Date: 1861-11-17
- Subject Date: 1861
- Local Name: Mexall Hill
- Town: Columbia, Lewinsville
- State: VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20 cm x 13 cm
- Local Code: Coll. S-7336, Misc. Box 255/9
- Collection: John E. Stewart correspondence to Samantha Leighton
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.