Burma District School, Monson, ca. 1880
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The "old" Burma school, pictured here, was abandoned in 1906 and the building was destroyed and replaced with a new school to accommodate the students in the Burma district. Located on the Blanchard-Monson Road, this section of town was settled mostly by Swedish and Finnish immigrants who farmed and worked in the slate quarries of Monson. The students names and the teacher are unknown.