Monson Academy & Elementary School, Monson, ca. 1945
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The building on the left in this photograph is the old Monson Elementary School, located on Main Street, which housed grades Kindergarten thru sixth grade. Each grade was comprised of two classrooms, except Kindergarten. This building was demolished in 1982 and was replaced by a more modern facility.
To the right of the Elementary building is Monson Academy. The Monson Academy building seen in this photograph was constructed after fire destroyed the first Academy building. Monson Academy housed students from grades seven to twelve. It consolidated with Foxcroft Academy in 1970 and the building was demolished in 1984.
Between the two schools sits the Monson Gymnasium, built by funds raised during 1940 and 1941 by the townspeople of Monson. AS of 2013, the gymnasium is the only remaining building to continue standing and is used for sports and community events.