One Room Schoolhouse in Day District, Monson ca. 1900
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The earliest settlers of Monson were very anxious for their children to be educated. They held classes in their homes during the first years of settlement. In 1823 a school was erected in town but because of the difficulty in traveling it soon became necessary for neighborhood schools to be established. This "red school house" was located in the Day District and was built in 1827. The identity of the students is unknown. As of 2013, the school no longer stands.