Martha Osgood on books, music, Litchfield, 1862
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Martha Usher Osgood (1823-1893) wrote to "Annie" from Litchfield, where she was visiting. She discussed books she had read, music, and family and friends.
Osgood married Dr. Joseph G. Osgood in 1848. He died in 1849. She mentions a book she bought for his father, Thoughts on Jesus of Nazarath and how much she enjoyed it.
She also mentions an article in the Atlantic magazine written by a Miss Prescott that seems as though it were written by the Fields. Martha Osgood was friends with Annie and James Fields, publisher of the magazine.
She refers to "Jennie," who is her sister Jane Usher (1836-1920) and Nathan, who is Nathan Webb, a Portland lawyer. The two married in 1867.
- Title: Martha Osgood on books, music, Litchfield, 1862
- Creator: Osgood, Martha Usher
- Creation Date: 1862-06-26
- Subject Date: 1862
- Town: Bridgton, Concord, Hollis, Litchfield, Portland
- County: Cumberland, Kennebec, York
- State: MA, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions (cm): 20.2 x 16
- Local Code: Coll. 9, Box 1/1
- Collection: Rebecca Usher papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings