John Rice Flint house, Monson, ca. 1890
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Located on Center Street in Monson this home, one of the earliest homes in Monson, was built in 1852 by Captain Peabody H. Rice as a residence for his family. Rice was born in New Hampshire in 1798, moved to Kennebec where he married Sally (Hovey) on October 14, 1820. Rice served as Postmaster in Monson from 1841 to 1845. After his death, the Center Street home was bought in 1896 by his heir, John Rice Flint and remained in the family until the 1960s. Since that time this home has had several owners.