Intersection of Main Street and Weld Street, Dixfield, ca. 1930
This photo shows Main Street with the brick Harlow Block on the left, followed by the Ione Harlow Building, and then The Ford Garage and Gulf Gas Station. The Ione Harlow Building was an antique shop and also housed the New England Telephone Company at this time, before it was moved across the street to the Harlow Block. The Harlow Block was built in 1878 by Elbridge Harlow and housed many businesses over the years, including the Hotel Stanley, a dance hall, John Marble's Law Office, retail space, and a branch of the Rumford Falls Bank and Trust Co. It was razed in 1979, and in 2013 is the site of the Bangor Savings Bank, Dixfield Branch. The Ione Harlow Building sits on the site of the former National House Hotel (with the top two floors removed). It too has housed many businesses including a doctor's office, library, barber and dentist shop. In 2013, Towle's Corner Store and Gas Station occupies this corner. Note the concrete paving. This improvement to Main and Weld Streets was voted approval April 5, 1926.