Garland Street Jr. High School, Bangor, ca. 1940
This is a color postcard of the former Garland Street Jr. High School which is now called the William S. Cohen School. It is located at 304 Garland Street in Bangor Maine.
The Cohen school and its sister school, the James F. Doughty School on Vine Street in Bangor, were both built with funds from the Works Projects Administration in 1939-1940 and were opened in September of 1940.
As of 2013, the Cohen school is now a 6th, 7th, and 8th grade middle school. This image shows the front of the Cohen school which faces east toward the Penobscot River. As of 2013 the front of the Cohen school and its grounds look very much as they did in 1940, minus the hedges.
There have, of course, been numerous interior renovations and additions to the Cohen school over the years, one of which was a new gymnasium added in the 1990's.