Letter to Sarah Tarbox Greenleaf from brother Valentine, Lubec, 1852
Contributed by Westport Island History Committee
Valentine Tarbox writes to sister Sarah who is living in Westport, soon after her marriage on January 3, 1852, to longtime beau, Wilmot Greenleaf. He shares advice on marital happiness.
Valentine also writes about Lubec, where he is currently operating his daguerreotype business with partner, "Keith". The two were traveling daguerreotypists who practiced their trade throughout Washington and Hancock counties.
Valentine (b. 10-18-1827) and Sarah Tarbox (b. 01-07-1823) were two of the children of Mary "Polly" and Samuel Tarbox, Westport, ME. Samuel Tarbox was a wealthy landowner, ship building investor, and town official in Westport.
- Title: Letter to Sarah Tarbox Greenleaf from brother Valentine, Lubec, 1852
- Creator: Tarbox, Valentine C.
- Creation Date: 1852-02-15
- Subject Date: 1852
- Town: Brooksville, Lubec, Westport Island
- County: Hancock, Lincoln, Washington
- State: ME
- Media: ink on paper
- Dimensions: 25 cm x 19.5 cm
- Local Code: TarSar.Doc.35-1.1852
- Collection: Sarah Tarbox Letters
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:
Westport Island History Committee
6 Fowles Point Road, Westport Island, ME 04578
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Tarbox, Valentine Cushing--Correspondence
Greenleaf, Sarah Tarbox,--Correspondence
Greenleaf, Sarah Tarbox--Marriage