Mt. Kineo Hotel brochure, Moosehead Lake, 1875
This Mount Kineo Hotel brochure from 1875 shows several routes for tourists to take from various points such as Boston and Bangor to Mt. Kineo and back. According to this brochure the best methods of transportation to and from Mt. Kineo were railways and mail boats. The first Mt. Kineo House was built on the shores of Moosehead Lake in 1848, but burned in 1868. Rebuilt in 1870 and opened in 1871, the second Mt. Kineo House burned in 1882. Designed by Arthur H. Vinal, the third Mt. Kineo House opened in 1884. Maine Central Railroad bought it in 1911 and the Hiram Ricker Hotel Company operated it thereafter. As of 2013 little is left of what was the Mt. Kineo House, though the Oak Lodge has been restored and operates as a bed and breakfast.