The first swing bridge in South Bristol, ca. 1910
The new (second) bridge across the "Gut" in South Bristol, shown in the open position in this postcard, was built in the summer of 1903 for a total cost of $2,834.14. The bridge was a "Whiplash" class structure and had a clear span of 28 feet. The swing was opposite of the bridge built in 1930 which was still in use as late as 2013; that is, toward the west to open. The demise of the first bridge came about from an accident that happened at the Town's fourth of July celebration in 1902. One of the floor timbers broke on the bridge while people were standing on it to watch and one side went down. Three people were injured in the event.