Lincoln School and Union Church, South Bristol, ca. 1915
This postcard, postmarked September 2, 1915, looks north to show the Lincoln School (center) and Union Church on Rutherford Island in South Bristol. The Lincoln School, shown here as a one-story building with a belfry was expanded in later years. The school was built in 1899 at a cost of $2,000, had eight grades and was one of the larger schools in the community. Its teachers boarded with owners of the Summit House Hotel located nearby.