The Thompson Inn in South Bristol Village ca. 1924
The Thompson Inn was originally the James Thompson Homestead, built in 1840, and overlooks the eastern arm of South Bristol harbor. In the 1890's, James' daughter Ada and her husband Eliphalet McFarland started taking in summer boarders. The homestead was expanded several times to the size shown in this image. It continued to serve summer visitors until the 1960's when all but the original house was torn down.