The Second Holly Inn Fire, Christmas Cove, 1923
This photograph was taken on August 10, 1923, by A. E. Merrill whose photography shop is the small shed in the foreground at the edge of the waters of Christmas Cove. The building behind the shed was the post office. The burning building is the second Holly Inn and was built in 1908 after the first Holly Inn burned down. It was believed that one of the maids knocked over a lamp and started the fire. Many people entered the burning building and removed possessions which were put out on the lawn; the mattresses and a few other furnishings were stored in the nearby Christmas Cove Improvement Association clubhouse, know as the ‘casino.’ Even with the help of the Damariscotta fire engine the fire could not be put out, and the Inn burned to the ground. The building to the right was used as an annex to the main building.