Androscoggin No. 2 hand engine of Topsham, 1850
The Androscoggin No. 2 is an 1850 hand engine, serial #385, built by William C. Hunneman & Co. of Massachusetts. It was purchased to replace an earlier Hunneman bucket tub. Often referred to as "Little Andy," it is a smaller class B machine. Purchased at the Springfield Exposition, it arrived in Topsham on April 17, 1850, and was the active fire fighting machine in the town until 1920. It was then used by the Androscoggin Veteran Firemen's Association in musters in the New England Veteran Firemen's League. "Little Andy" was a top prize money winner in the league, and class champion several times. The engine has a record play (stream of water) of 226 feet, 3/4 inches.