Steamer Louisa, Moosehead Lake, ca. 1920
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
In this photograph from around 1920, the steamer Louisa is shown docked at Lily Bay Wharf on the east side of Moosehead Lake. Henry Sawyer built the steamboat for himself and named it for his wife. Built in 1887, the Louisa was 73 feet in length, weighed 40 tons and had an 18 foot beam. She was captained by Joseph Anthony Parent, and her main function was to transport people, mail, and goods to and from the many camps and resorts around the lake.