Contributed by Greater Portland Landmarks
This record was added to Maine Memory Network through the efforts of a student at Waynflete. Learn more.
Located on 161 Fore Street, the birthplace of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was once considered a "historically important, handsome though modest Federal structure with fanlight and interesting fenestration."
The three-story house was built in 1800 with standard modular bricks, a granite foundation, and gray shingles on the roof. It was destroyed in 1955 for a nearby business expansion.
About This Item
- Title: Birthplace of Longfellow, Portland, ca. 1909
- Creator: The Dexter Press
- Creation Date: circa 1909
- Subject Date: circa 1909
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Postcard
- Dimensions: 8.5 cm x 13.8 cm
- Local Code: P79
- Collection: Historic Postcard Collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Greater Portland Landmarks
93 High Street, Portland, ME 04101-3797
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Historic sites--Maine--Portland
- Hancock Street (Portland, Me.)
- Fore Street (Portland, Me.)
- Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, 1807-1882
- Historic buildings--Maine--Portland
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.