Falmouth Hotel, Portland, ca. 1940
Located on 212 Middle Street, the Falmouth Hotel was once an important part of the Middle Street scene. After the Great Fire of the late 1800s, the Falmouth Hotel served as a convincing example of the revival of Portland, bringing cheerful spirits to the city's citizens. However, because of its increasing financial burden, the hotel was closed down and the property was handed over to the city in 1963. The Falmouth Hotel was described as having a "stone facade, black walnut high-ceilinged interiors, marble fireplaces, Great Rotunda, and the Billiard Room" and was described in the local newspaper, the Argus, as measuring "48 by 56 feet, elegantly painted and frescoed, and containing eight first-class tables from the manufactory of Amasa W. Bailey, Esq., of Boston."