Nason Sawmill, Princeton, ca. 1930
Contributed by Princeton Public Library
This major Princeton lumber mill was built in 1930 on Grand Falls Flowage by Ally M. Nason of Monticello, Maine. It burned in 1941 and was immediately rebuilt. It burned a second time and was rebuilt again. It was later sold to Northeast Lumber, then to Dead River Oil Company who operated it as the Passamaquoddy Lumber Mill, or "Quoddy Lumber", and later the Hunt Brothers owned the mill. This picture of the workers at the first mill, circa 1930, includes, the following:
Back row, from left to right are: Linc Leland; Izahar McLaughlin; Harold Hoyt; Earl Pratt; Clifton Densmore; Freemont Farley; Fred Lowe; Paul Lowe; Charles James; Sawyer Polleys; Harry Miller (holding peavey); Danny Eagan; Ally M. Nason, owner in shirt and tie; George McDowell (in back next to Ally M. Nason); Cyrus McDowell; Chester "Chuck" McDowell; Frisbee Kennison (in front of George McDowell); and Lindsey Mitchell (straw hat and mustache).
In the second row, from left to right are: Ray McLaughlin; Ben Beverly; Alden McDowell; Fred Leland; Tom Bailey; Fred Bulley; Harold Petrie; Charles Davis; Amos Brown; Lloyd Perkins; Bill Petrie; and Merton James.
In the third row, from left to right are: John Shean; James Bailey, James Monk, Dell Fletcher, and John Polk.
In the front row, from left to right are: Arthur Wheaton; John Bryant; George Leland; George Bailey;
Doug Cox; Bill Perkins; James Gray; and Snut Crossman.
- Title: Nason Sawmill, Princeton, ca. 1930
- Creator: Johnson, Frederick B.
- Creation Date: circa 1930
- Subject Date: circa 1930
- Town: Princeton
- County: Washington
- State: ME
- Media: photograph
- Dimensions (cm): 19 x 24.5
- Local Code: PL9
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Nason, Ally M.
Share what you know about this item
... Or if there's a problem with this page, tell us.
We do NOT offer appraisals on like items. Check our Note on Appraisals.